January 13, 2009

What's in a Name?

My name is Lisa Carol Hermann. I am from South Carolina, currently residing in Kentucky. My middle name is after my aunt Carolyn, and my last name is reflective of my German and Norwiegen heritage on my father's side.

Names - we all have them, some we are quite proud of and others that we like to keep secretive with initials. Nonetheless they are ours whether we are people, cities, or inanimate objects.
Since coming to South Africa I have been bombarded by names. I have found this helpful as people introduce themselves and our group to them, as well as getting to know the sights and sounds of this fascinating country.

When we arrived on January 6th I was immediately asked by the South Africa immigration official holding my passport "What is your surname?" I was a little hesitant, I didn't know what to say ...one slip of the tongue and I could be put back on a plane or something. Much to my surprise the South African woman with the lovely British accent wanted to know if I was a member of the HERR-MAANN family, one of the wealthiest Dutch families in all of South Africa. You say that stressing the HERR in a very throaty way. So step one - Way to go HER-MANN.

Next, is whenever we introduce ourselves to groups. We first say we are from KENTUCKY, you know the United States? They usually get it, but I believe most are trying to place Kentucky on the map in their mind. Then they say - like Kentucky Fried Chicken? And we all bust out laughing and say "Yes, like the Colonel!" So Kentucky in South Africa is synonymous with Kentucky Fried Chicken, which is quite popular here, and has helped us to let people know where we are from.

Then there was today's actvity. It has landed me three examples of names and how profound their meanings were and in someways are for me, those who encounter them, and those who may never know them except for reading this blog.

1. Robben Island - for some 500 years this small island off the coast of Cape Town, South Africa has existed as a place of exile for political prisoners, criminals, lepers, and the mentally insane. It was and is a living hell in many ways, but also a living reminder to what happens when we try to segregate a population of people. The Island is most well known for its prison. This is where Nelson Mandela spent 18 of his 27 years of imprisonment along with other ANC leaders. This prison's name, no matter what, is synonymous with BANISHMENT - the colonial and later nationalist apartheid governments tried to make the undesireables disappear by sending them there. Many of its occupants will always remain nameless, but as one man said "The tears of the banished water the soil on Robben Island."

2. Our tour guide through the Langa Township. His name was Siviwe, which in Xhosa means "Our Prayers are Answered." Siviwe is a part of a group (in addition to being a liscenced tour guide) called UBONO OMHLE which means " Beautiful Vision." Each member of this group of young people has to undertake a project that will better the community. For some it is sports, fo Siviwe he teaches children to dance. We were able to see his dancers aptly NAMED "The Happy Feet Dancers." They do rousing mine dances utilizing their stiff rubber boots for the stomping and clapping sounds that make the crowds that gather to watch come to life in a stepping fashion.

3. Finally, there is the little girl in the purple shirt and red pants in the township of Langa. She lived in the hostels. She was very small, but with the hand shading her eyes she looked at me as I took a knee so that I could be on her same level. I asked her what her name was. She replied "-SA." I didn't quite hear you can you repeat that. Again she said "-SA." The kids around her could see I was struggling and said giggling with delight "Her name is LIIIIISA." The little girl that stole my heart with her soft voice and gentle touch shared my name. I left Lisa physically sitting in the remants of a fire pit playing, but her face still dances in my head and lives in my heart.

Names are given to us by others, but they are ours and teach us lessons, and help us tell the sotries of countless others that we will meet face to face, and those we can only read about in books. Names of places, people, and things have been a profound part of my journey of learning, stretching, and growing here in South Africa.

No comments: