January 15, 2009

The Church

The theology of the church really excites me. I believe that it is the vision of how we are supposed to live as Christians that keeps us grounded in what is truly important to furthering the kingdom of God as well as challenges us to work to live up to the truth of the Gospel. As individual Christians we need the community and support of one another so that we may hold each one accountable and to see glimpses of what is possible through the grace of God.

Today I was reminded that I work for Christ's church - not Grace Presbyterian in Clarksville, IN or First Presbyterian Church in Boone. The joining of the church to the reconciling work of God through Jesus done all over the world is the church I work for. Last night I felt as if I was a part of the work being done in South Africa to alleviate the suffering caused by HIV/AIDS.

The church choir where we visited sang a song which included the lyrics: "God will raise me up to more than I can be." As I search for my call here in South Africa and I see the work that is being done by the church, I cannot imagine how the people have been able to do so much with so little. The pastor of the church stated that since God creates out of nothing and they had nothing after apartheid ended, they believed they were in good shape. The lyrics of the song echoed his sentiment and reminded me that as a person seeking to serve the church and the member of the PC(USA) that "God will raise us up to be more than we can be." While I worry about grades and my future and while the church worries about members and finances, we need only be faithful to God's call and practice our faith through prayer and reading Scripture then we too will be raised up to more than we can be and more than we ever imagined.

I pray for the work of the churches in South Africa and across the world that we trust in God's promise and join God in the work God is already doing in the world. I must forget what experiences and resources we have have and remember God creates from nothing. Never before has nothing felt so full of promise...

No comments: