January 14, 2009

Flesh of my Flesh, Bone of my Bones...

I could name a whole lot of emotions that are running through my heart and my head at this point in time, a bit over a week after landing in Cape Town, South Africa. Yet the fact that neither my heart and head can identify the extent of them at this point makes it hard to explain. I can say that I have been a witness to (and felt), beauty, loss, fear, hope, thoughtfulness, outrage, joy, helplessness, pride, faith, and so much more. All of those things are stirring in my soul at the moment, and I haven't had a chance to sit down and identify them. One thing I did realize, however, is how feeling all these feelings make me homesick. When I was young I would get homesick at my best friends house, a mile down the road. In recent years it's not so prevalent, and so I was surprised to identify that particular emotion. I suppose that this is what comes from being away from your comfort, and those that make you comfortable. It's taking me out of my comfort zone and forcing me to realize the comfort zone that I never part from, from the Spirit of God.

Tonight at JL Zwane Church and Centre, in Guguletu, we were reminded of the gospel, by a man named Edwin, what it is that we should realize in each moment, no matter where we are: that you are the flesh of my flesh, the bone of my bones. He reminded us that what we do in America affects what happens to him in South Africa, and vis versa. How beautiful were his words. He followed them by saying that he's "not a good public speaker, and doesn't preach", in which Josh replied "you just did!". It was so true. I have witnessed the Spirit of a people that is unmatched. This Spirit does not only make me thankful, but it moves me forward. It moves me into a life lived each day by action, by standing up for what I am called to by Jesus the Christ: to recognize the humanity in each face I pass, to see the face of God in each person I meet, and to fight for the humanity that is God-given, not humanly regulated.

So tonight I go to bed with new faces etched on my memory, and new feelings in my heart. I hope that these faces and these feelings stay with me always, continually challenging me to what it is I am here for, and wherever I go to what I am to do there. Peace & love.

No comments: