April 25, 2008

Gene Gee


Introduction
I am a supporting spouse and influential helper of my wife, Melissa, a first year Masters of Divinity student at LPTS. So far it has been an incredible experience and I love supporting, encouraging, and sending her off to class after a quick meal. After 5 years in the insurance industry and about 10 years in food service, I am currently working as a resident counselor with children ages 7-12 that have been temporarily or permanently removed from their homes. Most of these children come from homes where there was abuse, neglect, or addictions. Every day is a challenge and test of patience and understanding. It is a job that constantly tests my beliefs, breaks and fills my heart, and helps me grow in my relationship with God. I know my vicarious experience in seminary will be a true asset in my work.

Travel
O.K. this is where the selfishness comes to play. I love to travel and have been fortunate to travel a good bit in the last ten years. Only traveling with in the US growing up, I moved to Amsterdam for a 6 month externship after graduating culinary school. Living in Europe provided many opportunities to travel and my new friends have provided even opportunities. I have been fortunate to experience such events as the Northern Lights above Norway; running with the bulls in Pamplona, Spain; and was even arrested in southern France (a case of mistaken identity, yet still a good story). More recently my travels have focused on mission work in Peru. The opportunity to work beside and share with the people in Peru has created my best memories of travel. Certainly observing the life along the Amazon River each morning on our commute was one I’ll never forget. Since traveling to Peru, I have worked with PCUSA’s Peru network as well as other groups to develop stronger and healthier relationships with our brothers and sisters in Peru.

This Trip
Melissa and I both are greatly concerned with justice and equality and look forward to this great learning opportunity. I do not know exactly how it will apply to my life and work with at risk youth, but know examining a Christian perspective of reconciliation will be beneficial to everything we do. With so much division and with so many barriers in our country and world today, a knowledge and understanding of Christian perspectives, actions, and emotions, in such an extreme case of abuse will help us in mending damaged relationships at home. Please keep our mission in your hearts and prayers and use this blog to grow with us and share in our experiences.

Much Peace,
Gene Gee

No comments: